It’s pretty common to experience some anxiety every now and then. It’s normal to feel some jitters when facing an intense situation, or a moment you’ve been dreading. But for some, anxiety is crippling, to the point it affects their every day life. Extreme symptoms of anxiety disorder can interfere with the individual’s job, social life and personal relationships. Approximately 40 million U.S. adults are affected by anxiety disorders in some form with only one-third reportedly seeking treatment.
There are several types of anxiety disorders:
Generalized Anxiety Disorder Symptoms:
- Sudden feelings of intense fear
- Cold, sweaty, numb or tingling hands or feet
- Shortness of breath
- Rapid heartbeat
- Dry mouth
Panic Disorder symptoms include:
- Sudden and repeated attacks of intense fear
- Feeling out of control during a panic attack
- Intense worries about having another panic attack
- Fear of places where panic attacks have taken place
Social Anxiety Disorder symptoms include:
- Extreme anxiousness around other people
- Self-conscious feelings in groups of people with concerns about feeling humiliated, or rejected.
- Fear of judgement
- Difficulty making and maintaining friendships
- Avoiding people
- Physical reactions to being around other people (blushing, sweating, nausea etc.)
Treatment for Anxiety Disorders and Substance Abuse in Murfreesboro, Tennessee
At JourneyPure Professional Excellence, our therapists practice Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) which is known to be effective in treating anxiety disorders. This type of psychotherapy shows people different approaches to thinking, behaving and reacting to situations that may be fearful. Our staff is experienced in treating dual-diagnosis clients, which means if our clients are experiencing an anxiety disorder and a substance use disorder, our team of medical and psychiatric professionals will work in tandem to address both simultaneously. You don’t have to live with anxiety. We can help.